It's officially soup season! At GRTH we are big fans of eating with the seasons, and in fall and winter this means warming our bodies with lots of nourishing soups and stews. Soup can actually make up a full meal, if you add in all the right ingredients it can be a blood sugar balancing, filling dish that will last you until the next meal.
Here is our recipe for warming coconut squash soup. It is full of healthy fats and fibre, keeping you full and preventing any energy crashes afterwards.
1. In a large pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion, garlic, chilis, and ginger and stir. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until onions are softened, about 10 minutes.
2. Add all the dry spices into the mixture and stir until combined and aromatic (about five minutes).
3. Add broth and squash and salt, bring mixture to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes or until squash is tender. (you want to be able to easily stick a fork through it).
4. Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth, or transfer to a blender and puree soup in batches. If soup is too thick for your preference, thin with additional broth until desired consistency.
5. Top with toasted pepitas and goat cheese and enjoy!